Standing in the grocery store at the dairy aisle can sometimes be intimidating, seeing that there are so many different products out there! Especially yoghurt!
And, another thing that you might have noticed is that there are many different yoghurts that say Greek-style, or greek yoghurt, now this can also become confusing because you don’t know which is the real deal and which is fake, but that’s a discussion for another blog!
What we are discussing in this blog however is, once you have bought your Greek yoghurt, what are you going to do with it? There is one recipe that we all know and love, but we all have grown quite bored of by now, and that is the classic Greek yoghurt and Granola recipe! BUT, here, we have listed 7 different recipes in which you can use our Gourmet Greek yoghurt to spice things up a bit!
Some of these recipes were gathered from the loving internet, and some made by our very own Gourmet Greek fans!
Let’s start off with this delicious recipe which one of our top fans and, as she says on her Instagram page, healthy treat baker, nutrition enthusiast and fitness addict, Jo shared with us (follow her on Instagram at @pullupsandpeanutbutter)
1 banana, preferably ripe
3 TBS low fat Gourmet Greek yoghurt, 1 egg white
A few drops of liquid sweetener, optional
1/3 cup oat flour
2 serving Platinum whey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of salt
1 TBS choc drops (add these LAST)
1. Mix the wet ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth. This shouldn’t take long.
2. In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix together.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
4. Add the chocolate chips and stir again.
5. Using some cooking spray and a non-stick pan, pour an appropriate amount of mixture into the center of the pan and when bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancake, flip.
6. Do the same thing with the remainder of the mixture.
7. Add some fresh fruit and some sugar free chocolate or a protein drizzle and serve
You could add a nut butter drizzle and have yourself a very balanced meal...
-Carbs from the banana and the oats
-Protein from the whey, egg white and yoghurt -And fats from the optional extras
This mixture made about 10 pancakes and I had 3 as a meal with some fruit
You are looking at 39 calories per pancake, including the chocolate chips...
SCANDINAVIAN EGGS BENEDICT WITH GREEK YOGHURT SAUCE
Our next recipe is one that we personally love, but not all restaurants can quite get this one right, a classic Eggs Benedict! We found this delicious recipe on Gooseberry Mooseberry’s page and you can go read all the steps toward making the perfect Eggs Benedict at http://www.gooseberrymooseberry.com/2012/04/scandinavian-eggs-benedict-with-yogurt.html
What we will be looking at for this recipe however is how to make the yoghurt sauce to go with this perfect Eggs Benedict!
YOU WILL NEED:
1 cup low-fat Gourmet Greek yogurt
1/8 tsp powdered turmeric
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp horseradish
A crackle of white pepper
Salt to taste
2 whole wheat English muffins, halved and toasted
4 slices of smoked salmon
4 poached eggs (for how to poach an egg, see above)
Optional: chopped chives for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt and turmeric until yogurt turns a pale gold color. Then stir in dill, lemon juice, horseradish, pepper, and salt, until combined.
2. Leave it at room temperature for a few minutes as you cook the eggs. If you would like the sauce warmer, put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
3. Top each toasted English muffin half with a slice of smoked salmon, a poached egg and a dollop of yogurt sauce.
4. Sprinkle with chopped chives for garnish. Repeat with remaining muffin halves.
5. Serve and enjoy.
NO BAKE APPLE PIE PARFAIT
Our next recipe is a sweet and healthy recipe that you cannot go wrong with!
This recipe is for a single serving, but double it up and make it for the whole family! You can be assured that they will love every bite! We got this recipe from i heart eating, you can visit their website at https://www.ihearteating.com/no-bake-apple-pie-parfaits/
2 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup apple butter
1 cup plain low fat Gourmet Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 ½ cups shortbread cookies crumbs
In a small bowl, toss together chopped apple and apple butter.
In a separate small bowl, mix Greek yoghurt, sugar, and vanilla together. Set aside.
In a separate medium bowl, whip cream until it begins to thicken.
Continue to whip until cream is at stiff peaks.
Gently fold Greek yoghurt mixture into whipped cream.
To assemble, place about 2 tablespoons cream mixture in bottom of dish or glass.
Top with crumbled cookie, 2 more tablespoons of cream, and then chopped apple mixture.
On the final layer, layer crumbled cookie, apple mixture, and end with cream mixture.
Sprinkle with additional cookie crumbs.
Serve immediately if you want crispier cookie, or loosely cover and chill until ready to serve.
A fun, childhood recipe that might sound like an unhealthy comfort-food, but with this spin-off on the usual recipe is turned into a healthy, low-fat snack!
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt to taste
115 grams whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/3 cup low fat Gourmet Greek yoghurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Mist an 20-by-20-cm baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.